Applicants interested in working as a police patrol officer in the future are encouraged to submit applications now, and will be notified when openings occur. This is an ongoing hiring pool with no deadline to apply, but early applications are encouraged. Qualifications for a Police Patrol Officer position include a valid SD driver's license and high school diploma or GED.
The police patrol position is responsible for the enforcement of federal, state, and local laws and the protection of life and property. Job duties include:
* Patrols the city to detect and deter criminal activity and traffic violations and to provide assistance as needed; monitors commercial and residential areas for signs of criminal activity.
* Enforces traffic and parking laws through the issuance of citations and warnings; inspects roadways, bridges, and traffic signals and signs to identify and report hazardous conditions.
* Performs business and residential security checks; checks doors, windows, gates, and fences; reports unsecured property.
* Responds to calls for service, including domestic disputes, assaults, burglaries, traffic accidents, lost or missing persons searches, public service requests, stranded motorists, and others.
* Conducts preliminary investigations into traffic accidents and other incidents, including interviewing victims, complainants and witnesses, gathering information and evidence, and securing crime scenes.
* Apprehends, arrests, and processes offenders, including fugitives; subpoenas witnesses.
* Provides assistance and backup support to other officers and emergency service providers as necessary.
* Provides traffic direction as needed for events such as parades, funerals, events, and school crossings.
* Testifies in judicial proceedings as necessary.
*Completes required reports and forms, including accident and incident reports.
* Inspects and maintains assigned patrol car, uniform, and equipment.
* Prepares criminal and search warrants, complaints, and affidavits; serves criminal and court-related paperwork.
* Serves on special teams and task forces as assigned; completes special duty assignments.
* Performs related duties.
Qualifications: High School degree or equivalent. No experience required. Possession of or ability to obtain a valid South Dakota driver's license. Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the South Dakota Law Enforcement Standards and Training Commission.
Special Requirements: Knowledge of or ability to learn relevant federal and state laws, criminal and traffic codes, search and seizure laws, town ordinances, and department policies and procedures. Skill in the use of a computer. Ability to learn and demonstrate appropriate law enforcement techniques such as restraining persons without causing harm and operating police vehicles, firearms, and emergency equipment.
Police Patrol Officer -- Hiring PoolCity of MitchellJob Description
Applicants interested in working as a police patrol officer in the future are encouraged to submit applications now, and will be notified when openings occur. This is an ongoing hiring pool with no deadline to apply, but early applications are encouraged. Qualifications for a Police Patrol Officer position include a valid SD driver's license and high school diploma or GED.Other Postings