Assist education/treatment team in management of student behavior; assist teacher in preparation and implementation of curriculum.
- High school diploma required, some college education preferred.
- Valid South Dakota Driver's License.
- Experience or training for work with emotionally, socially, and behaviorally handicapped clients.
- Ability to effectively interact with sensitivity and responsiveness to cultural differences in the client population.
Responsible To: Education Director or Supervisor Assigned
- Contribute to the effective team management of behavior of students in assigned classes and implement education programs.
- Provide opportunities for the student to learn and improve social skills using the motivation system and teaching interactions, both positive and negative, and recording points earned on youth cards at the time of teachings.
- Assure that methods of intervention with students are employed in a therapeutic manner, are responsive to the students' needs, and are consistent with Agency policy.
- Assure that necessary information regarding student progress is communicated to involved staff in a timely manner.
- Support and enhance teacher's instructional efforts by providing individual and small group tutoring.
- Assist teachers in preparation of curriculum materials and perform other duties as assigned: such as: maintaining decorative classrooms; organizing and supervising special activities; providing transportation of students as needed: and assisting in outreach to parents.
- Maintain thorough and timely documentation of significant incidents.
- Assist teacher in development and implementation of lesson plans. Assist teacher in group and individual instruction.
- Serve as substitute for absent teachers, if necessary.
- Respond to other expectations of the Agency and/or Supervisors.