At POET, it is our mission to be good stewards of the Earth by converting renewable resources to energy and other valuable goods as effectively as humanly possible. For over thirty years our drive and passion to change the world has enabled us to become the largest producer and marketer of bioethanol and leader in biobased products in the world. Beyond our world-class culture, POET team members enjoy competitive pay and benefits including;
- Health, dental, & vision insurance
- 401K with company match
- Premium pay for qualifying positions
- Quarterly profit sharing
- Paid time off and paid holidays
- Tuition reimbursement
- Onsite fitness centers or fitness reimbursements
- Safety and cold weather gear, and more!
ABOUT POET BIOREFINING
Our 33 biorefining facilities produce 3 billion gallons of bioethanol, 14 billion pounds of Dakota Gold distillers grain animal feed and nearly 1 billion pounds of our Voila corn oil. That’s a lot of product! We also provide plant-based products like CO2 for the food and beverage industry and purified alcohol for use in products ranging from food and beverage ingredients and personal care products to cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer and industrial bioethanol. POET also produces JIVE, a product that contributes to more sustainable roadways by using plant-based ingredients to help recycle old asphalt. We also buy over 930 million bushels of corn per year from local producers. It is our role at POET Biorefining to ensure safe, efficient, and profitable operations at each facility.
The Material Handler is responsible for loading dried distillers grains, ethanol, corn oil, wet cake feed, distiller’s syrup, or biomass into trucks and rail cars. Team members in this position use mechanical equipment, meters or scales as well as computers and software equipment when loading products to ensure a timely delivery and product safety. Based on training provided, the Material Handler may also complete the grading of grain products or biomass.
DURING A TYPICAL DAY (IF THERE IS ONE)…
- Load trucks and rail cars with feed and fuel products of POET bioprocessing facilities using mechanical equipment, meters and scales as required to ensure timely delivery of products.
- Assist with grain product or biomass and supply truck unloading functions.
- Complete the grading of grain products or biomass using training provided.
- Operate large machinery and equipment; may be required to obtain DOT certification.
- Maintain a clean work area.
- Enter bins adhering to POET’s confined space procedures.
- Complete HAZMAT paperwork when necessary.
- Learn, maintain and operate all processes associated with the grains operation including repair and maintenance.
- Remove, install, rebuild, lubricate and clean all equipment associated with the grains process.
- Perform preventative maintenance tasks as directed.
- Be required to work outdoor, weekend, and holidays.
- Must be able to meet call-in requirements as well as work extended hours as necessary.
- Assist with running the bioprocessing facility scale house and learn required software applications.
- Work in an honest and ethical manner; maintain confidentiality on all business related matters.
- Foster a culture of safe behavior and environmental compliance at all times.
- Maintain a team environment at all times and champion POET in the community.
- Since we’re all about teamwork and getting the job done, your skill may be put to a lot of other uses!
STRENGTHS OF A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience requirements:
- Material Handler I: No experience required.
- Material Handler II: Documented successful performance as a Material Handler I or equivalent work experience required.
- Experience and knowledge in the operation of heavy machinery, skid loaders or other associated heavy loading or material-moving equipment preferred.
- Experience in truck loading and unloading, including rail tank car and tanker truck preferred.
- DOT certification preferred.
- Excellent organizational, time management, and communication skills as well as the ability to embrace change.
- You know the basics of Microsoft Office Suite. You’re capable of learning new programs.
GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN POET
At POET we believe in recognizing team member contributions as they add value to the organization. Team member skills and contributions are frequently assessed and recognized through incentives and title progression. New team member titles and pay are determined considering their qualifications.
- Culture is king at POET. We’re all on the same team. We always communicate. And we park our egos at the door. These aren’t just slogans on our walls. It’s the way we do things at POET.
- This position is largely self-directed and requires a thorough understanding of company policy, procedures, and values. Team members will be required to adhere to all safety requirements at all times and in all work environments. This position is exposed to work in multiple environments, including plant, laboratory, as well as an office environment. The team member may be exposed to high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, dusty conditions, internal and external temperature/weather conditions, and chemicals.
- Specific physical requirements may include:
- Occasionally lifting weight up to sixty (60) pounds.
- Climbing several flights of stairs and ladders.
- Opening valves.
- Occasionally bending, twisting and turning while lifting weight of less than fifty (50) pounds.
- Data entry while seated for greater than one (1) hour.
- Walking up to two (2) or more miles per day.
POET is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.